Friday 21 March 2014

Challenging environment

I started working this year at BSG in Cape Town, design capital 2014 -. I'm 21... straight out of varsity with my computer science degree from UCT, the best varsity in Africa (had to throw that in there...) working at a decently sized company getting a competitive salary with great perks and benefits...has the dream been realized?..oh yes!

I have felt so privileged to be working here with such talented, vibrant, intelligent, loving people. I am currently the youngest guy in the dev team, which would make a lot of sense- with me recently graduating and all. And I am nowhere near the smartest guy in the room, something that, as obvious as it is, always takes some humbling and inner submission. The people around me are smart, focused, dedicated but most of all..they are human, just like me. When I first started working I felt very intimidated, because looking at them I know where and who I should be but I am not there yet. As daunting as this is it is this same aspect of my new life that pushes me and encourages me to work towards something. I wake up everyday actively wanting to learn more, do more, be more, acquire more knowledge, work on something more challenging. I have a need to get out if my comfort zone because I know I will not grow if I stay there, it's safe yes but it's not progressive. Feeling ignorant makes me want to strive for more knowledge and wisdom.

I have never been one that likes asking questions, but because of the environment I am in I feel like I am able to ask a question about anything; without being judged or looked down upon, it's such an amazing feeling. And with every question asked my understanding improves, as I am able to grasp whatever task I am facing with my own hands and wrap my own mind around it. This is not easy in an industry where you are expected to know everything, but I have realized that you have to start somewhere. I know where I am right now and even though I know it will take a long time to get to the level I want to be,I honestly think I am at the best place to achieve this....and it's a remarkable feeling.

------------
It is essential to ensure that you are in a challenging environment that is conducive for learning and growth. Surround yourself by people that are 'better' than you because it's the best way to improve.

T4aM
-------------

No comments:

Post a Comment