Sunday 20 April 2014

Dare to be real

I have on many an occasion been that guy at a social gathering that says or does some weird shit. Things that classify as non-conventional, not normal, uncalled for, unexpected.. and i don't do it because i'm trying to be funny or trying to spark up controversy or anything - I do it because that is who i am. I do it because it is what i feel, what i think, what is true to me. And its only fair that i show the world the me that i am, as opposed to the me that they want to see.

Many a time I notice that people are often afraid, or maybe too reserved to say what they are really thinking or what they are really feeling because they are concerned about how it will be received by the general public. And when certain things are said or done a lot of people would rather stick to the conventions of society so they are not perceived to be 'uncool' or some nonsense like that. Why?, why must we adhere to these unwritten, undocumented social conventions that we have all internalized, why must we condemn the person that speaks up, and says what we want to say, and what we are thinking but too afraid to show... why...?

This is one of the many reasons why I find this world such a weird place. It pains me to see how much you as an individual sovereign entity are expected to conform. And leads me to ask myself the following:

"Why i should ignore my natural personality, preferences and tendencies just to be accepted?"

Society is not there with me when I go to bed, society is not there with me when I wake up, society is not in my mind, no society is all out there. So why must I put on my publicly-approved 'mask' and filter-configured 'helmet' when I leave my apartment so that everyone around me is comfortable and at ease. This way we all just end up faking the majority of our lives, with the carefully structured facades that we put in-place where our faces and real personalities are supposed to be.

The truth is that I will only really live for so long and I cannot let my life go by pretending , just to be 'cool' just to be 'accepted', honestly I'd rather be weird, creepy and REAL - i'd take that ostracized option over that 'you have been deemed to be socially acceptable' tag any day. Honestly : conventional, average and normal have never really been my strong point....

I really don't have time to suppress my thoughts, feelings and actions, as I would honestly be denying myself of life. And my time, as is yours - is limited, in this dimension.

T4aM  


No comments:

Post a Comment