Tuesday 10 February 2015

Know thyself: Once you label me..you negate me

Who we think we are, who other people think we are,who we are expected to be and who we think we are supposed to be form the basis of our thoughts, our behaviors our actions, our preferences, our allegiances, our friends, our careers...our life. Overtime we get so caught up with defining ourselves, our surroundings and our possessions, adding layers upon layers of labels, explanations, tags, ambitions, desires - all in the hope that we are making more and more sense of the world when we are actually just making ourselves more rigid and restricted. Limiting ourselves and others from sincere expression and the possibility of having a truly limitless life experience.

"I am this, I am that", we think and say to ourselves as we try so hard to fit into groups and relate to other people. Quick to add more and more words to our arsenal of self-definitions in an aim to form a proud egoistic worldly identity, all in our deep burning desire to be a 'someone'. Quite sad it is really that throughout all of this we tend to forget that it is not who or what we are that actually matters, it is that we are.

You see the idea of who we are is just a collection of labels and descriptions imposed on us by ourselves and those around us, in an attempt to categorize, to understand, to predict, to model and yes, as 'true' and 'reflective' as these labels may seem on the surface, personally identifying with them just restricts you even further because you now associate your deeper self with these superficial high-level definitions, that in all honesty have nothing to do with your real true essence.

You cannot be boxed, you cannot be categorized, you cannot be defined.
You just are. 

#T4aM







---------------------


"And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shall you say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you." - Exodus 3:14

"I am, as I am; whether hideous, or handsome, depends upon who is made judge." - Herman Melville

"I don't think people change. I think they definitely mature. But I think the essence of what I am today is the same as when I was five years old. It's just maturity. I've become a healthier, fuller expression of that essence." - Ricky Williams


----------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment